Due to Covid-19 when you arrive, you will notice a few other changes:
All guests must take a COVID-19 pre-screening before entering the building.
- 5 years old and younger = Masks not required.
- 6 years old and older = Masks covering the nose and mouth are required while you are indoors at Kentucky Science Center.
- ADA accommodations will be made for guests that cannot wear face masks due to a health exemption. If you have a health issue that places you in an exempt class, you may wear a full-face shield without a face mask. If you cannot wear a full-face shield, you should not visit Kentucky Science Center at this time. If you need assistance making other accommodations, please call 502-560-7128.
- KSC Staff will always be wearing masks while with guests and campers.
- Please maintain six feet of spacing between all traveling groups.
- Additional hand sanitizer stations were added throughout the building. Please use them and remember to wash your hands frequently.
- We have added more cleaning capacity and you will see our cleaning carts and staff members wiping down high-touch surfaces often.
- We modified or removed some exhibits to keep everyone safe.
- Other exhibit components will be completely changed out every day to ensure complete decontamination.
Before You Arrive
- Schedule a preview planning visit! Once you’ve booked, you’re invited to visit the Science Center to plan your field trip. Simply call ahead to schedule.
- Make sure you’ve paid. Payment is due three weeks before your visit. Without payment, we are unable to hold any spaces at Kentucky Science Center.
- Well-prepared chaperones are key to a successful visit! Provide your chaperones with this link so they can prepare themselves. Also send them a copy of the Chaperone’s Guide provided in your Field Trip Confirmation Email.
- Assign chaperones and students to groups (a max of 10 students to one chaperone.) Your chaperones should know who they’re in charge of, and students should know who oversees them. Chaperones should have copies of their students’ names.
- Go over the schedule and map with chaperones in advance.
- Each floor is broken into “zones”. Your students will want freedom to explore, but our floors are large, and to keep groups socially distant they need to stay with their group in the zone that they are in.
- There is not storage for coats, they will need to leave them on the bus.
- Kentucky Science Center memberships may not be used in conjunction with school field trips. Chaperones will receive a reduced rate through the school group booking process. If they arrive day of without having pre-paid, they will be charged full price.
When You Arrive
- There is a loading/unloading zone in front of our Main Street entrance. Bus parking is available on tenth and eleventh streets. A map is provided in you Field Trip Confirmation email.
- When your bus arrives a Kentucky Science Center Educator will greet the lead field trip teacher and direct them to the front desk.
- This Educator will reiterate with your students to:
- Stay with their adult chaperones in their assigned group.
- Chaperone stickers
- Scavenger Hunts, if requested
- Then the Educator will board your bus to greet your students. This Educator will reiterate with your students to:
- Stay with their adult chaperone.
- Walk, and not run, during the visit.
- Elevators are reserved for those who absolutely need them, so please use stairs.
- During this time, the lead field trip teacher will go inside and check in at the ticket desk.
- Lunch bins will also be provided for any group that has reserved the lunchroom. Drop lunch bags, boxes, or coolers in these bins as your group enters the building. Science Center staff will store these bins until your lunchroom reservation, and then take them to the lunchroom for you.
When the lead field trip teacher checks in at the ticket desk in the lobby, they will be given the following items:
- Schedule and map of Kentucky Science Center, with enough copies for each adult. This is where those Social Distance Groups will divide up and be shown where they will start the exhibit experience.
- Self-Guided packets for exhibit exploration
Where to Go
Each Floor will be broken into “zones” each group will need to stick together to allow for social distancing. Please allow 15-20 minutes in each zone. Wait until the group in that zone has moved onto the next, think Putt-Putt rules.
- First Floor (Science In Play): Science in Play is our Early Childhood Gallery, reserved for groups that have students in the 2nd grade (8-years-old) and younger. Groups may reserve hour-long time slots in Science in Play at the time of booking.
- Second Floor (World Around Us; World We Create; Discovery Gallery; Makerplace): Groups are welcome to explore the second floor at any time. Our Chemistry Kitchen show times and maker space times may be found outside the Chemistry Kitchen and at the Ticket Desk.
- Third Floor (Uniquely Human and Theater): Groups are welcome to explore the third floor at any time. If your group is scheduled to see a film, the entrance to the Theater is found on the south-eastern part of the third floor.
“Where Can I Find…?”
- First aid: the ticket desk on the first floor. We are able to supply Band-Aids and ice packs.
- Restrooms: located in the eastern and western wings of every floor.
- Theater entrance: south-eastern part of the third floor (our building faces south.) There are stairs and an express elevator leading straight to the theater lobby. Running late? Use the express elevator to enter from the fourth floor.
- Lobby/Atrium: our first-floor entrance, and the home of our Be-In-A-Bubble.
- Lunchroom: located in our lower level. Groups with a lunchroom reservation may gather near the Be-In-A-Bubble on the first floor, and our Visitors Services team will greet your group to lead you to the lunchroom.
- Gift Shop: first floor lobby, near the entrance.
Classes and Labs
- Before your visit, check out our “Stretch Your Thinking” pages. These minds-on activities will pose questions and encourage your students to observe and critically think about the world around them.
- Meet in the lobby for your class or lab, and Educators will greet your group. If you have more than one class or lab happening at the same time, please split up your group according to your schedule.
- If your chaperones reserved a spot in your class or lab, encourage them to think right along-side the students. We encourage strong parent/caregiver engagement as a pillar to school success.
25-minute lunchroom reservations can be reserved at the time of booking for $.50 per person. Groups with a lunchroom reservation may gather near the Be-In-A-Bubble on the first floor, and our Visitors Services team will greet your group to lead you to the lunchroom.
- Label your lunches.
- There will be a 50-student max capacity during lunch. With 2 students at one table at a time to allow for social distancing.
- We are unable to refrigerate or microwave lunches.
- Lunch bins will be provided for your group. It’s a good idea to assign students or adults to carry lunches to your lunch bin when you arrive, and to pick up lunch bags and totes before you depart.
- If you prefer, boxed lunches can be ordered from Subway: 502-625-3002 our Reservation Specialist can provide the form to be filled out.
- Kentucky Science Center recycles! Ask your lunchroom attendant about where (and what) to recycle.