Before You Arrive
- Schedule a planning visit! Once you’ve booked, you’re invited to visit the Science Center to plan your field trip. Simply call ahead to schedule.
- Make sure you’ve paid. Payment is due three weeks before your visit. Without payment, we are unable to hold any spaces at Kentucky Science Center.
- Well-prepared chaperones are key to a successful visit! Provide your chaperones with this link so they can prepare themselves.
- Assign chaperones and students to groups (a max of 10 students to one chaperone.) Your chaperones should know who they’re in charge of, and students should know who is in charge of them.
- Chaperones should have copies of their students’ names, as well as a printed map and schedule. Go over the schedule and map with chaperones in advance.
- Being a chaperone at the Science Center means engaging in an educational experience, so encourage chaperones to interact and learn with students!
- Break up each floor into “zones”. Your students will want freedom to explore, but our floors are large and students can easily get lost. Manage their independence by tackling one zone at a time, instead of an entire floor.
- If the weather is cold or raining, bring large plastic trash bags for storing coats.
When You Arrive
- There is a loading/unloading zone in front of our Main Street entrance. Bus parking is available on tenth and eleventh streets.
- When your bus arrives a Kentucky Science Center Educator will board your bus to greet your students. This Educator will reiterate with your students to:
- Stay with their adult chaperone.
- Walk, and not run, during the visit.
- Elevators are reserved for those who absolutely need them, so please use stairs.
- During this time, the lead field trip teacher will go inside and check in at the ticket desk.
- Lunch bins will also be provided for any group that has reserved the lunchroom. Drop lunch bags, boxes, or coolers in these bins as your group enters the building. Science Center staff will store these bins until your lunchroom reservation, and then take them to the lunchroom for you.
When the lead field trip teacher checks in at the ticket desk in the lobby, they will be given the following items:
- Schedule, with enough copies for each adult
- Map of Kentucky Science Center
- “Chaperone” and “Teacher” stickers
- Scavenger Hunts, if requested
Where to Go
- First Floor (Science In Play): Science in Play is our Early Childhood Gallery, reserved for groups that have students in the 2nd grade (8-years-old) and younger. Groups may reserve hour-long time slots in Science in Play at the time of booking.
- Second Floor (World Around Us; World We Create; Discovery Gallery; Chemistry Kitchen; Nano Gallery): Groups are welcome to explore the second floor at any time. Our Chemistry Kitchen show times and maker space times may be found outside the Chemistry Kitchen and at the Ticket Desk.
- Third Floor (World Within Us; Great Big Science To-Do/Temporary Exhibit Space): Groups are welcome to explore the third floor at any time. If your group is scheduled to see a film, the entrance to the Theater is found on the south-eastern part of the third floor.
“Where Can I Find…?”
- First aid: the ticket desk on the first floor. We are able to supply Band-Aids and ice packs.
- Restrooms: located in the eastern and western wings of every floor.
- Theater entrance: south-eastern part of the third floor (our building faces south.) There are stairs and an express elevator leading straight to the theater lobby. Running late? Use the express elevator to enter from the fourth floor.
- Lobby/Atrium: our first floor entrance, and also the home of our Be-in-a- Bubble.
- Lunchroom: located in our lower level. Groups with a lunchroom reservation may gather near the Be-In-A-Bubble on the first floor, and our Visitors Services team will greet your group.
- Gift Shop: first floor lobby, near the entrance.
Classes and Labs
- Before your visit, check out our “Stretch Your Thinking” pages. These minds-on activities will pose questions and encourage your students to observe and critically think about the world around them.
- Meet in the lobby for your class or lab, and Educators will greet your group. If you have more than one class or lab happening at the same time, please split up your group according to your schedule.
- If your chaperones reserved a spot in your class or lab, encourage them to think right along-side the students. We encourage strong parent/caregiver engagement as a pillar to school success.
25-minute lunchroom reservations can be reserved at the time of booking for $.50 per person. If you have a reservation:
- Label your lunches.
- We are unable to refrigerate or microwave lunches.
- Lunch bins will be provided for your group. It’s a good idea to assign students or adults to carry lunches to your lunch bin when you arrive, and to pick up lunch bags and totes before you depart.
- If you prefer, boxed lunches can be ordered from Subway: 502-625-3002
- Kentucky Science Center recycles! Ask your lunch room attendant about where (and what) to recycle.