ThunderBlast is Kentucky Science Center’s largest annual family-friendly event and FUNrasier! At Kentucky Science Center, we know SCIENCE MATTERS. As ambassadors of scientific values, we make science personal, fun, participatory, and relevant. Thank you for your support!
Saturday, April 20, 2024
2:00 PM to 10:15 PM (Fireworks starting approximately at 9:30 PM). Kentucky Science Center is open exclusively to ThunderBlast guests from 2:00PM to 10:15PM. Check-in for ThunderBlast begins at 2PM at the parking lot entrance located at 8th and Washington Streets.
Parking is NOT provided with your ThunderBlast ticket. Nearby parking includes the Advocacy Parking garage (located on Jefferson Street between 7th and 8th Streets, 2 blocks south of Kentucky Science Center). The Advocacy Parking garage has accessible parking spaces. It is recommended that guests with accessibility needs be dropped off at the ThunderBlast event entrance prior to parking. Other nearby parking includes the surface lot on 8th and Market Streets and the Republic Bank Garage at 701 W Market Street. On-street parking is prohibited downtown and on major routes during Thunder Over Louisville.
Bring your transaction number to the ThunderBlast check-in tent located at 8th and Washington Streets (main entrance of Kentucky Science Center parking lot) to receive your wristbands. There is no check-in at Kentucky Science Center main entrance on Main Street. Check-in will begin at 2PM. Wristbands must be left on throughout the day for in/out access to ThunderBlast and Kentucky Science Center.
View / Seating / Sound
General admission tickets do not include a reserved seat. Bring lawn chairs and blankets. Please do not bring tents or large umbrellas. People with accessibility needs will have access to a reserved viewing area. Official Kentucky Derby Festival Thunder Soundtrack will broadcast the air show and fireworks. The air show and fireworks are viewable outside; there are minimal vantage points inside Kentucky Science Center. Lawn chairs are not allowed inside Kentucky Science Center.
Included with your ticket:
- A river-side view of the Thunder Over Louisville air show and fireworks inside a secure area.
- Access to Kentucky Science Center’s permanent exhibit galleries to ThunderBlast guests only from 2:00-10:15PM. All guests must have a ThunderBlast wristband to enter Kentucky Science Center.
- Access to indoor restrooms. Portable restrooms will also be available in the outdoor ThunderBlast event area.
- Guests will have the opportunity to participate in fun, hands-on activities! Science activity stations will be available 2:00PM–9:00PM inside Kentucky Science Center and 2:00PM-7:00PM outside in the ThunderBlast event area. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Available for an additional $5 per person, per show. Movies will show every hour 3:00PM–7:00PM & 10:15PM. ThunderBlast attendees can add movie tickets to their experience day of at check-in (or in advance by phone), including a 10:15PM showing of one of our documentaries. You’ll enjoy a great film and miss out on all the late night Thunder traffic, too! Each ticket is $5. Chair-check will be included for the 10:15PM movie showing ONLY.
Open 2:00PM–10:00PM to shop and support Kentucky Science Center’s mission and programming.
Food & Beverage Vendors
ThunderBlast guests enjoy exclusive access to a variety of food and drink options for purchase by Michaelis Catering & Events and various local food trucks from 2:00PM–9:30PM. ThunderBlast guests can also visit the Subway restaurant located adjacent to Kentucky Science Center to purchase food and drink. No outside food or drinks are permitted at ThunderBlast except Subway. Soft drinks, cocktails, water, beer, and wine will also be available for purchase. Guests must be 21 or older and present a valid driver’s license to purchase alcoholic beverages. Guests can bring an empty water bottle to fill at any indoor water filling station.
What to bring to ThunderBlast:
- The transaction number located on your receipt for admission and theater tickets
- Lawn chairs and blankets (lawn chairs are not permitted in Kentucky Science Center; the only exception is for the 10:15PM film when a chair-check will be provided)
- Cash or credit card for food vendors, souvenirs, and movie tickets
- Identification/proof of age for purchase of alcoholic beverages
- Personal umbrellas (no larger than a golf umbrella), strollers, and small wagons are permitted.
What to leave:
- Tents, coolers, alcohol, firearms/weapons, pets, food, and drinks. Security will be checking bags at the entrance to ThunderBlast.