What is Uniquely Human?
Pre-teens, teens, young adults and their families are the target audience for Uniquely Human. Our goal is for Uniquely Human to open a dialogue with that audience, inviting discovery and offering growth through an approach that will rely heavily on community-based outreach, partner programming, and a small-scale permanent gallery experience.
Uniquely Human will provide visitors:
- tools for supporting sustained healthy physical, mental, emotional and environmental habits;
- ways to grasp the connections between themselves, their families and the broader community;
- an understanding of links between mental and physical wellbeing that help develop resilience;
- accessible pathways to understanding identity, empathy, and strengthening tolerance and acceptance; and
- the chance to reflect, think, feel and act.
When will the Uniquely Human exhibit be complete?
At Kentucky Science Center, we put science at the forefront of everything we do – and that includes the way we develop new exhibitions. The process of developing Uniquely Human began in 2019 with a prototype exhibit of the exhibit’s Identity theme. That was followed in 2020 with a renovation of our 3rd Floor Main Gallery – Uniquely Human’s home – and a prototype of the exhibit’s Feeling theme. Our most recent prototype, Uniquely Human: Thinking, was on view through November 2022. The final version of the exhibit will open on June 29th, 2023.