Science Matters to Kentucky
Become an Ambassador for Science Literacy – Volunteer at Kentucky Science Center!
Want to have fun, meet new people and advance the cause of science literacy? Consider becoming a Science Center volunteer! We greatly value our volunteers who are willing to share their time, expertise and experience.
The Science Center offers volunteer opportunities for adults of all ages and teens ages 13 and older.
How much science do you need to know?
For some positions, knowledge of basic science is helpful. However, if you have a passion for learning, we have plenty of resources to share. As a volunteer, your main goal is to make our visitors feel excited, inspired, and curious about science.
As a Science Center volunteer, you will receive:
- Free admission to the Kentucky Science Center’s permanent exhibits after 20 hours of service
- Free parking in the Science Center’s lot (during a volunteer shift)
- Discounts in the Science Center’s gift shop and Subway
- Discounts on the purchase of a Science Center family membership, science camps, or rental space.
- Access to view films in our 4-story digital theater (during a volunteer shift)
- Community service hours or credit
- Recognition events
- Networking and experience in a potential career field
- Free family membership after 100 hours of service
- STREET TEAM
- Community Marketing Intern
- Department Assistant
- Theater Host
- Information Booth/Greeter
- Lunchroom Host
- Learning Facilitator: Classes and Labs
- Learning Facilitator: Early Childhood
- Learning Facilitator: Exhibit Halls
- Learning Facilitator: Offsite Programs
- Learning Facilitator: Workshop Programs
2017 Summer VolunTEEN Program
(Grades 9 – 12)
Kentucky Science Center needs and appreciates the talents, intellect, creativity, and enthusiasm of teen volunteers. Volunteers allow us to maintain and expand our exceptional educational facility. Many daily Science Center duties are fulfilled daily with VolunTeens.
Any teen entering the 9th grade or higher for the 2017-2018 school year is eligible for the summer program. Teens must be able to volunteer one day a week during the 8 week program to be considered. VolunTeens may miss no more than 2 of the 8 weeks due to family vacations, camps, etc. Space is limited in the Summer VolunTeen program and the application process is very competitive.
The program will run for 8 weeks from June 5- July 29th and is available Monday – Saturday.
FOR NEW TEENS:
1. Complete the new teens online application:
Click HERE to fill out an application if you did not participate in the 2016 Summer VolunTeen Program.
2. Return the following forms by June 5, 2017:
- Medical form
- VolunTeen/Parent Contract
- Reference forms (Two are required. One must be from a teacher/counselor/principal)
FOR RETURNING TEENS:
1. Complete the returning teens only online application:
Click HERE to fill out an application if you participated in the 2016 Summer VolunTeen Program.
2. Return the following forms by June 5, 2017:
FOR ALL TEENS:
It is mandatory for VolunTeens to attend one of the following Orientation and Training Sessions.
- Saturday, May 27th – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, June 1st – 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Are you interested in volunteering at the Science Center? Click for the Online Adult Application.
After your application has been received, a volunteer coordinator will contact you regarding a background check, orientation, training, and shifts.
We hear it every day- what’s it like to work in place that’s as fun as the Kentucky Science Center? Find out by joining our VolunTeen Program!
Open to teens age 14-18, the Kentucky Science Center’s Homeschool VolunTeen Program operates year-round to engage and inspire visitors from all across our region. VolunTeens assist in exhibit halls, perform scientific demonstrations, serve as lab assistants in classes, workshops and camps, and help out with birthday parties, science celebrations and other special events.
VolunTeens gain valuable experience working with people from all walks of life and build important teamwork, communication, presentation and leadership skills. It’s a great way to build your resume for scholarships, college applications, and future employment!
As a home-school student, you may choose a shift during the week, working mornings to help with school groups or afternoons working with families and visitors. Shifts are typically 4 hours and most home school VolunTeens choose to work at least 1 shift per week.
As a nonprofit organization, the Kentucky Science Center encourages corporations, colleges, and religious based organizations to work with us to provide hands-on community service. Volunteer projects are designed to be enjoyable and fulfilling, providing employees with meaningful volunteer opportunities.
Projects Can Include:
- Facilitating educational activities or workshops
- Organizing supplies for our workshop programs
- Participating in Science Celebrations such as National Chemistry Week or BOOnanza
- Beautification or renovation projects
- Deep cleaning our exhibits
- And more!
For more information, call (502) 561-6146 or send an email.
Youth Infusion Board
Are you a naturally curious person, a good problem solver, and critical thinker? Would you like to become an Ambassador of Science Literacy to help the Science Center increase science literacy in our community, state and region? Consider applying to become a member of the Kentucky Science Center’s Youth Infusion Board.
The Youth Infusion Board is open to any student age 13-18 with an interest in assisting the Science Center spread the message about science as a part of everyone’s daily life. Members of the Board provide a primary link to the community; each Board member is essential to the strength of the Science Center and each serves an important volunteer role. Service on the Board carries a number of requirements, as well as formal and informal expectations. The Science Center’s goal is to provide a rewarding and enjoyable Board service experience while working alongside staff, volunteers and board members to advance the vision of the Science Center.
Applications to serve on the 2018 Youth Infusion Board will be available in September.
Our Online Volunteer Information Center
Current volunteers can access their online information center, by clicking here.